Powell Elementary School hosts grades pre-K – 5.
- Co-teaching and Small Class Sizes, small classes taught by a highly educated faculty under the leadership of a dynamic principal
- Dual Language and English Language Learning Support
- Weekly Expeditions to the top cultural, historic and scientific institutions in Washington DC
- Reading achievement programs (Achieve3000, Imagine Learning, BURST) provide tailored small group and individualized instruction to students to accelerate reading skills.
- Full-time music, art, physical education and library media
Our highly qualified staff is dedicated to…
- Inclusion—all students are given a rigorous curriculum and Special education instructors and classroom teachers work together to address the needs of the special needs student population.
- Portfolios – a distinctive feature of Powell Elementary— teachers develop inquiries/in-depth investigations and projects into important ideas for students to show what they know and are able to do. Students learn via project-based learning and differentiated instruction and students reflect on their work with an entry slip and rubric. Every nine weeks, the students present their portfolios to their teachers, peers and other community members.
- Providing a safe and effective learning environment for all students.
Here are some enrichment offerings
- Respect Center with full-time bilingual Counselor and Psychologist and Special Education team—guidance counseling services are available to all students
- Monthly Awards and Heritage Assemblies, International Dinners
- Peer Educators/Mediators
- Student of the Week
- Before School Reading Initiative
- Multiple after school tutoring programs